Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Two thoughts for Tuesday


Hey guys! My aim if going to be the exact opposite of your kooky relative who is always giving you unsolicited stock tips. Instead, I would like to discuss and write about thoughtful, useful, and actionable financial ideas.

So, I decided to take the time to explore two alternative methods I might go to build some side income.  My goal is to research and develop a process that would allow all my hard work  keep earning me residual income.  GAH!  Pretty pretentious sounding, but stick with me.

Idea 1 - Digital Cash Machine
 I'm currently user of Prosper.com, where I have noticed that there is a considerable difference between the rate at which an AA level borrower pays versus that of an A or B would.  There is definitely room for arbitrage there.  The process would look like this:

I borrow $2000 at ~7.4%(I'm around AA or A), then re loan those funds across notes on the level directly below me.  The overall net would be only about 1%($20), but that's money I didn't have to work for AND it would boost my credit score.

Would this be worth the amount of risk/exposure I'd have? I'd be responsible to pay back the loan even if I didn't collect all that I had received.  Of course I could pay it back faster than required and therefore make a better margin. Hmm.

Idea 2 - The Dividend Delivery
After looking at dividends .com, I've found a number of stocks that have a 30 year history of paying regular dividends.  Most of these range between 3-5% of their current market value, meaning that's my effective earnings each year regardless of if there value goes up or down.

Please let me know your thoughts!

http://www.addpoll.com/solomonsk5/poll/202616

 Ps. Does anyone know how to embed a poll directly into a site? Simple would be preferable to refined, but any suggestion or thoughts help. Have a great day!


----------------------------UPDATE 5/14/12----------------------------


So I have decided to use  Scottrade  as my online broker.  Their $7/trade is competitive and the minimum balance is only $500.  When you sign up they ask you to fund it and drop-off a sign-up form at a local office, but seem fairly lenient about enforcing it- It's been setup for about two weeks now and I haven't been warned or anything.  


Oh yeah- Free trades for both of us if you'd like to let them know I pointed you in their direction!

Referred by: SOLOMON KNOWLTON 
ReferALL code: OPRH6640


No comments:

Post a Comment